Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Great start to the day

Today's mileage 62.58ish. I think I'm getting short changed in my odometer. The capitol trail had mileage markers and I was .5 miles short. 

Started the day out in the low 60s with a fog and occasional light misting rain. 
It was just cold enough that I was able to pedal full speed without getting warm. That plus the nice easy flat Capitol bike trail(it was actually a very very very slight incline) allowed me to make great time. 

I finally saw a bike route 76 sign. 
I  don't know if I missed the previous ones but this was the first one I consciously saw. In case you were unaware the TransAmerica trail is U.S. bike route 76 since it started with the bikecentennial in 1976.

Thanks to the bike tail I covered 35 miles by lunch time. The scenery was still great but not nearly as nice as yesterday. If I hadn't stopped off at President Tyler's plantation for a tour I would have probably covered 40 miles. The plantation was nice but other than a few unique plants it was just another big house.


Unfortunately all things must come to an end. So too did my time along the capitol bike trail. At first riding along the road wasn't bad. The roads were basically empty so I could just cruise along. Eventually the heat started rising and I started dragging. I'm not sure if I was dehydrated, undernourished, or it really was just took hot at 76 degrees. If it was the heat I'm gonna be in trouble. Thankfully I found a cute little shop selling freshly made limeade. I grabbed a seat and updated my blog for an hour while drinking they limeade. When I got back on the bike Iwas refreshed and ready to ride. I made it all of one mile before stopping at another historical site. I don't think I'll make it if all these historical parks, signs, and locations keep popping up.

After another hour wandering around the park I headed out again. Unfortunately rush hour traffic had started. Riding along during rush hour traffic with no shoulder to speak of is extremely stressful. I'd really like to avoid it in the future but its one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations. I either ride in the blazing hot midday sun or during rush hour.
I eventually made it to my targeted campsite. A nice little former KOA with all the amenities. There is even the possibility of waffles for breakfast. What my trail guides was missing, and it was a major oversite in my opinion, is right across the street from the campsite is a brewery. Not only that Wednesday's is live music in the patio with a good truck. If that was included in the guide I don't see anyone camping anywhere else.



Anyone know what this plant is it smelt amazing. 




What a beautiful turtle. 
Yay flowers. 
More flowers. 

2 comments: