Thursday, August 3, 2017

Yellowstone bike touring

If you thought yesterday was cold today was worse. I tried getting going early at 4 so I could be riding by 5 to avoid the traffic but I couldn't even get my head out of my sleeping bag. I tried again at 430 and opened the tent before crawling back in, I checked the temp on the phone and it said 28. Nope back to bed.

I finally got riding by 7 but it was difficult. Still today was a big day. Ever since I started the trip my sister had asked about joining on this section. With a few messages and time adjustments today is the day I'll meet her. We left camp at the same time she's got about 40 miles on a triathlon bike that weights 15ish pounds and a slight uphill. While I have a loaded touring bike in the 60# range with two divide passes to cross. Who will make it to old faithful first?

Me of course but only cause she took some detours. While waiting on old faithful we rode our bikes up to the hot springs. They looked the same as before and my sister inevitably got asked, those special shoes you wearing.

After watching old faithful go off right on time if a bit underwhelming, there was less water than I remember which is supposedly normal, we started riding through the park. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that there was a nice shoulder for us to ride on. Factoring in the shoulder and the hell that everyone in the cars were going through trying to see the sights and a parking spot I think bikes are the best way to see this section. The Grand Enchantment pool musta had a line of 25 cars waiting on parking and people walking for half mile or more from street parking. Meanwhile my sister and I rode right up saw the pools and were on our way with bike racks on the approach trail and only our bikes using them.

Once we hit all the major attractions we had an easy 20 mile flat/downhill cruise to the campground my sister had her car in. Along the way we stopped off in west Yellowstone to pick up some cold medicine for me since I was definitely sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment